Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Slow Cooking...


OMG... Not the crock-pot again! I thought we left those back in the 70's 'cause we were sick to death of beef stew!... but, in my continuing effort to create tasty and healthy meals... and save a little $... I did pick one up at Target for $17 (on sale 'cause it is oval and red!)... my mother was a big fan of the pressure cooker, even after the neighbor lady "texturized" her ceilings and walls with potatoes one afternoon... those darned things scare the bee-geezers (whatever those are) out of me... but... the slow-cooker is experiencing a revival... this weekend I picked up Southwest Slow Cooking at the Phoenix airport... this gem is bubbling over with great ideas... yes! you can, thanks to Tammy Biber and Theresa Howell, cook a kick-butt Mexican meal while you're at work... her "Mexican Meatloaf" is home cooking itself as I type... then... Becky (she'll get her blog up and running soon so I can link to her) sends me a link to a Mary Engelbreit workshop announcement... and lo and behold, Mary E. is currently throwing a slow-cooker recipe contest... they are popping up everywhere!... so if you have a treasured family recipe for the slow-cooker send it off to her... traditionally the crock-pot was used to slowly cook a pot roast to death while you were at work... but we are not talking about your mother's crock-pot recipes now... my family and friends include vegetarians and vegans and they are not being left behind this time... as more and more folks are looking to healthy eating... the pot-roast is having a tough row to hoe these days... check out this marvy guide to going veggie with the slow-cooker... I'll get back to you on the Mexican Meatloaf... taking it to X-Files Night at Joye and Jamie's later... she is a chef extraordinaire so it will be a tough audience... guess I better stop by my boyfriend Trader Joe's place for a nice jar of Mango Salsa to top it all off...

No comments: